What is ViNA
The NZ Viticultural Nursery Association (ViNA) has a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with New Zealand Winegrowers to enable a range of collaborative activities that support the recognition of the importance of establishing high health and enduring vineyards.
Grafted Grapevine Standard (GGS)
Recognising the importance of high quality vines and the longevity of vineyards, NZ Winegrowers developed a Grafted Grapevine Standard (GGS) and an associated certification program which has the objective of minimising the probability of infected material being released to the industry.
ViNA is currently made up of 7 participating nurseries, all of whom supply grapevines produced under the GGS certification. Purchasing GGS grapevines gives a grower confidence the vines they are planting are certified as being:
- true to type (ie the Chardonnay vine you order, will be Chardonnay);
- of known virus status (free from Grapevine Leafroll associated virus 3);
- able to conform to minimum physical specifications including, but not limited to; diameter, top growth, graft union;
- able to be traced back to the vines the grafting material was sourced from.
The latest version 3.1 of the New Zealand Winegrowers Grafted Grapevine Standard was released in June 2017 following the completion of a review of wood diseases. Maintenance and development of this standard is high on VINA’s list of priorities.
Download a two page Fact Sheet on The New Zealand Winegrowers Grafted Grapevine Standard (GGS) which provides a summary of the standard and an introduction into why you should purchase GGS certified, high health vines.
Other ViNA priorities include:
- Consultation on, and participation in relevant components of New Zealand Winegrower’s research strategy; and
- Participation in relevant biosecurity activities.
Chairperson Emma Taylor
06 845 3186
0800 11 37 47
2017 © Copyright VINA. All rights Reserved.